You may have seen those wide, fluffy mattresses and thought how comfortable they would be. Well, let us inform you that they might look luxurious, but they aren’t really good for you. Mattress Thickness usually ranges from 2 inches to 20+ inches. What you choose from it depends on your individual requirements. Here are a few aspects that will help you find the correct thickness. So, let’s get started.
Know Your Medical Conditions
The very first factor you must consider while buying a mattress is the sleeper’s medical condition. If they don’t have any physical problems, you may not need to think about this. Otherwise, you will have to find the right thickness of the mattress to aid in their medical issue. For example:
- In the case of back pain, experts recommend a thickness of 8-inch to 12-inch.
- In the case of arthritis, it is suggested to go for a mattress thickness between 12-inch to 14-inch.
If the patient has some significant problem, you can also consider an air mattress for hospital bed. They provide additional support to the sleeper and helps them sleep better.
Your weight and type of body also determine the thickness of the mattress. Here is how different body weights affect the thickness:
- Less than 130 pounds of weight: If you fall into the lighter side, a mattress of 12-inches or thicker will be perfect for you. It will help in reducing body aches.
- Between 130 to 230 pounds of weight: A 10 to 12-inch thick mattress is suitable for average-sized people. However, you need to check the make of different layers to ensure proper comfort.
- More than 230 pounds of weight: For large-sized people, you need a 12-inch to 14-inch mattress. Plus, the comfort layer must be of at least 6-inches.
If you are considering air mattress for hospital beds, you will need to consult the doctor about the mattress’ thickness.
You may be shocked to see that even your sleeping position affects the required mattress thickness. Here are some common scenarios:
- Back Sleeping: In this position, your back comes directly in contact with the mattress. Therefore, you need 10 to 12-inches thickness for proper comfort.
- Side Sleeping: In this position, mainly, your hips and shoulders require support. You can opt for 12 to 14-inches thick mattress that has an extra cushion layer.
- Stomach Sleeping: In this position, there are high chances of spinal misalignment. That is why you need around 10-inch thick mattress to support your back appropriately.
- Combination Sleeping: In this, your entire body needs support because you switch position throughout the night. Therefore, a medium feel and 12-inches thick mattresses are most suitable for you.
You can also go for an air mattress for hospital beds if your body requires pressure on specific points.
Some More Factors
Other than these, you also need to consider if you sleep alone or with a partner. It affects the thickness in the same way as your body weight. In case the sleeper needs to recover from a medical issue, you must talk to the respective doctor about what type of mattress would fit perfectly in their needs.